Nuffnang

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Orange Chiffon Cake

It's been a while since I last joined Bake Along. This time, the selected theme is Chiffon Cakes. It's one of my favourite cakes that I like to savour.

So I relied on my much-trusted book from Kevin Chai. It's his book, Chiffon Cake is Done. I like his recipes - simple to bake and yet, not too sweet.

Ingredients:
 
(A)
7 egg yolks
50g caster sugar
60ml orange juice (this will be the juice of 1 orange)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp orange flavouring I omitted this
4 tbsp canola oil
rind of 1 orange
110 plain flour

(B)
7 egg whites
130g caster sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
 
Method:
  1. Gently whisk the egg yolks, sugar, salt, orange zest, orange juice in a mixing bowl until just combined. Fold in flour until there is a thick batter.
  2. Whisk egg white and cream of tartar until foamy. Whisk egg whites till slightly frothy, then add cream of tartar. Add in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time and continue to beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
  3. Add a dollop of the egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture and gently fold in until combined. Use swift strokes. Add the remaining egg white mixture to the combined mixture. Gently fold beaten egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture until well mixed. Pour into a 22 cm chiffon cake mould and bake in a preheated oven at 170C 160 degrees celsius for 30 -40 minutes or until cooked.
  4. Remove from oven and invert cake pan to cool.

See how soft and boing boing the chiffon is!!




The fragrance that oozes from this chiffon cake is so citrusy and fresh. It just entices me to want to eat more. I need to be stopped!
 
I'm going to submit this to Bake Along #64 organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce of Baking Flavours and Lena of Frozen Wings.
 
 
I'm also submitting this to Cook-Your-Books#14 organized by Joyce of Baking Flavours.
 
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

No comments: