Nuffnang

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Thyme and Garlic Chicken Wings

Do you love chicken wings or drumsticks as much as I do? To me, it can be a starter, nibble or even part of a main meal. Yes, give me chicken wings or drumsticks anytime. I'll take them.
 
I've missed several IHCC events because of various reasons but believe me, I don't intend to disappear totally. So here I'm back at this week's event, "Starters and Nibbles".
 
I was intently looking for a nice chicken wing recipe from Nigel Slater and found this one. It's from his "The Kitchen Diaries II". I made a few modifications to the recipe with what I have.
 
Serves 3-4, depending on the size of your wings


thyme about 12 bushy stems I used 3-4 heaped tbsp of ground thyme 
garlic 2 cloves
thick honey 4 tbsp I used 3 tbsp only and it's sweet enough for me
dried chillies a couple of good pinches I used 2 heaped tbsp of ground chilli powder
lemon 1 large
chicken wings 1 kg
lemon 1, to serve
 
Method:


  1. Pull the leaves and flowers from the thyme branches, measure 2 lightly heaped tbsp of them and put into the bowl of a food processor. (If you are making your marinade by hand, then put the thyme into a mortar.) Retain extra leaves and discard the stems. I used 3-4 heaped tbsp of ground thyme so there's no hassle in this.
  2. Peel the garlic and drop the cloves into the thyme together with a generous grinding of black pepper, the honey and the pinches of chillies. Grate the zest of the lemon into the mixture, then squeeze in all of the juice. Blitz for a few seconds till the ingredients become a sloppy paste, or, if you are doing it by hand, pound with the pestle instead.
  3. Transfer the paste to a nonstick roasting tin and add the chicken wings and reserved thyme, turning them over in the marinade so they are thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or even overnight. Turn from time to time, so the wings stay in contact with the marinade.
  4. Set the oven at 200C/gas mark 6 (I set my oven to 180 degrees celsius because it's hot enough so do set your oven accordingly). Season the wings with salt, then roast them for 40 minutes, or until they are deep, golden brown and the marinade has turned dark golden brown. If there is a lot of liquid in the tin then cook for a further few minutes until dark and sticky. Cut the lemon in thick segments and squeeze over the chicken wings as you eat.
  5. This is also good for a barbecue, but it is essential to make sure the coals cool to grey before adding the chicken, otherwise they will scorch outside before being cooked within. They will probably take 15-20 minutes' total cooking time, turned once, but the exact time will depend on the heat of your coals.
Honestly, I love the fragrance of thyme in the chicken drumsticks as well as the citrusy flavour of lemon juice in it. They taste so so good and refreshing. It's definitely great for a snack and good for dinner or lunch for one as well.
 

I will definitely bake these again whenever I'm feeling peckish or even for a potluck dish! Thanks so much, Nigel :)
 
Grab button for IHCC
 
I'm also submitting this to Cook-Your-Books#14 organised by Joyce of bakingflavours.
 
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg


No comments: