Nuffnang

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Vegetables

It is rare that we get to eat sticky ribs on weekday nights. Yeah, being a bargainer, I decided to wait for the supermarket to have promotion for their rack of sticky ribs. It was a great steal so I bought it for us to share.

To have some vegetables to go along with the sticky ribs, I decided to make this sweet and spicy roasted vegetables by Ellie Krieger. Incidentally, it was apt for our "Think Orange" this week. If you must ask, at the I Heart Cooking Clubs this week, we are going for food that has orange-hued ingredients that is line with the autumn or fall season. I love orange!! It is just so pretty and reminds me of sunshine.

Let's not digress further and look at the beautiful array of colours in this recipe below from Fine Cooking Issue 102. See the modifications in blue.

Ingredients:
1/2 tsp ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander

½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper I added a few dashes of red chilli pepper for more kick
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 small onions
2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch squares
1 ½ pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes (about 3 cups) I added both japanese pumpkin and butternut squash
5 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon fresh thyme

Method:
  1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees 180 degrees celsius.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together the cumin, coriander, ginger, salt, cinnamon, cayenne, honey and olive oil.
  3. Leaving the root end on, cut each onion in half lengthwise and peel it. Then cut each half into 4 wedges so that a piece of the root remains attached to each wedge, holding it together. Place the onion wedges, red bell peppers, butternut squash, and carrot into the bowl with the spices and toss to coat evenly.
  4. Put the vegetables onto a baking sheet in a single layer, place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes. Stir in the thyme and cook for 25 minutes more, until the vegetables are tender.
  5. Tent with foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
I love how this dish is full of fiber, folate, potassium, vitamins A, B6, C and K. Best way to make anyone eat vegetables. I paired these roasted vegetables with sticky pork ribs. What can be better than this for dinner? Mr G finished it all. I loved the sweetness and kick of spicyness from these vegetables.




I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs - Think Orange.


I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books#27 by Joyce of kitchenflavours.

                                   photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

No comments: