It's the first time we are having a monthly featured chef event and this month we are cooking with Nigella Lawson for that. She is one of my favourite domestic goddess. Her recipes are always simple but yet easy enough to attempt when you take a look at her recipes.
I have always bookmarked this simple recipe but didn't find an occasion to make it so this time would be it!! I'm going to make Nigella's mirin glazed salmon from Nigella Express.
The ingredients and steps are so so simple!! You must definitely try this. See my modifications in blue.
60 ml mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
50 grams soft light brown sugar (I reduced the sugar by half as mirin is sweet enough)
60 ml soy sauce
500 grams salmon (4 x 125g / 4oz cut from the thick part so narrow but tall rather than wide and flat)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 - 2 spring onions (halved and shredded into fine strips)
- Mix the mirin, brown sugar and soy sauce in a shallow dish that will take all 4 pieces of salmon, and marinate the salmon in it for 3 minutes on the first side and 2 minutes on the second. Meanwhile heat a large non-stick frying pan on the hob.
- Cook the salmon in the hot, dry pan for 2 minutes and then turn the salmon over, add the marinade and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the salmon to whatever plate you're serving it on, add the rice vinegar to the hot pan, and warm through.
- Pour the dark, sweet, salty glaze over the salmon and top with the spring onion strips.
- Serve with rice or noodles as you wish, and consider putting some sushi ginger on the table, too.
Check out how easy and yummy the mirin glazed salmon looks. Don't mind the burnt parts but that was probably the result of the mirin and sugar together. And all I complemented the salmon was with boiled broccoli and carrots. Perfect I would say!!!
I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs.