Nuffnang

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Pound cake

This was probably not my best pound cake but I like the fact that this is so so easy. These days, to even want to cook or bake something with much effort just seems like I was climbing Mt Everest. Haha!! Ok I'm just saying.
 
In any case, I realised that of all Jacques Pepin's dishes I've made, I have never made a dessert with him before. So I've decided to make his favourite pound cake. I must warn you that this pound cake is dense like it really should be. If you are a fan of soft and light cakes, you might just not quite like this. But I always think a good pound cake is best for the afternon tea.
 
This recipe is from Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way.
 
Ingredients:

283g unsalted butter, softened
281g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
6 large eggs
60g milk, at room temperature
250g cake flour

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter a 10-by-5-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with a strip of parchment paper that extends 2 inches past the short ends of the pan.
     
  2. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar, vanilla and salt at medium speed until fluffy, 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 2 at a time, beating between additions. Beat in the milk. Sift the flour over the batter and whisk it in until smooth. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
     
  3. Bake the cake for 1 1/2 hours, until it is cracked down the center, golden on top, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmold the cake and let cool completely.
 
I thought this was a really good closure to the good times we had with Jacques Pepin.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Link up your recipe of the week

No comments: