Nuffnang

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Madeira Cake

I've bookmarked this recipe ages ago. Now I'm given the chance to finally make it for real ;)
 
According to Nigella, she believes that her mother-in-law's version of this madeira cake is probably the best version she's tried. If Nigella says this, I definitely believe her. Based on my experiences, I have never failed with any of Nigella's recipes so that says alot for me. I also love this madeira cake as it is a very nostalgic butter cake for me.
 
Did you know that madeira cake is a traditional English sponge cake? It has a firm but yet light texture and is eaten for tea or traditionally breakfast. I second that!! This cake is perfect for tea for sure :) Now you don't have to eat this for tea. I don't believe you can wait that long :P
 
This recipe is from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess.
 
Ingredients:
 
240 grams unsalted butter (softened)
200 grams caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling) 
grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
3 large eggs
210 grams self-raising flour
90 grams plain flour
 
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius.
  2. Butter a loaf tin.
  3. Cream the butter and sugar till pale yellow and add the lemon zest.
  4. Add the eggs one at a time with a tbsp of mixed flour each time you add an egg.
  5. Then gently mix or fold in the mixed flour and finally the lemon juice.
  6. Pour the batter into your buttered loaf tin.
  7. Sprinkle about 1-2 tbsp caster sugar over your batter.
  8. Bake it for 1 hour or until the cake tester comes out clean.
  9. Remove to wire rack, cool and then turn the madeira cake out.
  10. Then try to keep it from itchy hands HAHA!!
It was hard to keep this cake away from  Mr G. The fragrance of the madeira cake simply eluded every part of my house and it smelt great. Mr G just kept looking at me while I sliced the cake, waiting to pick up some crumb that I dropped along the way. Haha!! Enough said about the deliciousness of this tea cake. Try it now!!
 
 

I'm submitting this post to Bake Along #79 organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce of kitchenflavours and Lena of herfrozenwings.
 
 
I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books#23 organized by Joyce of kitchenflavours.

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

Link up your recipe of the week

 

No comments: