Nuffnang

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sticky Toffee Pudding

I didn't even realise I missed the 1st week of cooking with Nigel Slater @@ Yes, too many things happening at the same time that I actually forgot despite marking it. Oh well, no excuses already :)

In case you are wondering, I'm just joined I Heart Cooking Clubs where many of us have a common interest to cook together based on themes for the current selected chef. This time round, Nigel Slater is chosen.

You might have seen Nigel Slater every now and then on television. He's an English food writer, journalist and broadcaster but he also has his own cook shows where he shows you his food of the day. I like his style of cooking - simple, down to earth but yet wholesome. It's my kind of food :)

To celebrate this week's theme of 'Fit for a Brit', I chose his sticky date pudding with toffee sauce - a classic hot British pudding. The very first time I had sticky date pudding was several years back. At that time, I cringed at the sound of it. Dates never appealed to me or at least eating dates plainly is never something I would consider for a snack or anything like that. However, if it goes into my food, I might just say yes. When I tasted it, I expected it to taste gritty and grubby but to my surprise, I was pretty caught aback by it. It tasted NICE.

So this time round, I want to make my own sticky date pudding with toffee sauce. If you noticed me baking, I never liked to have sauces to soak my cakes etc. I like them just the way they are - plain. This time round, I must beg to differ. It is definitely awesome with this toffee sauce!!!

Ingredients:

For the pudding

150g dates, stones removed and chopped
250ml hot water
1 tsp baking soda
60g butter, softened
60g caster sugar
2 eggs
150g self-raising flour

For the toffee sauce

200g butter
400g 150g brown sugar
1 vanilla pod, split 1 tbsp vanilla extract
250ml double cream

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.
  2. Mix the chopped dates, baking soda and hot water and soak for about 10 minutes or so.
  3. In a clean bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  4. Still stirring the butter mixture, add the eggs and make sure they are well mixed in the mixture.
  5. Still stirring, gradually add the flour, then add the date mixture.
  6. Pour the mixture into an 8 inch square tin. Place into the oven and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes. or until cooked through.
  7. To make the sauce, melt the butter over medium heat.
  8. Add the brown sugar, vanilla extract, cream and mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes.
  9. To serve, take out a portion of the pudding onto a plate and pour over the hot toffee sauce. Then add a scoop of vanilla ice cream!! Voila!



This is definitely comfort food for the soul!! Soft sticky date pudding with hot toffee sauce made my dinner more complete. Nothing beats a sweet treat with the family :) Don't forget your vanilla ice-cream!!!

So are you up to know what the rest of us cooked with 'Fit for a Brit'? Check us out at IHCC.



No comments: