This is definitely not the first time I'm baking a chiffon cake. But it is a first for me since it's a savoury chiffon cake. Ok, did you wince too like me initially? I thought it was pretty bizarre since chiffons are always meant to be sweet. Oh well, at least that was what I thought.
When I saw this recipe from Wen who got her inspirations from Cuisine Paradise and Kitchen Corner, I thought hey, why not? That combination is perfect to me. See my modifications in blue to the recipe.
5 egg yolks70g water
70g light olive oil
100g cake flour (sieved)
6 egg whites
50g Virgina ham (approx 1 slice - chopped)
90g Pizza plus shredded cheese (mixture of moz cheese, cheddar cheese & parmesan cheese)
1 tsp parsley flakes
- Put egg yolks, water and oil in a mixing bowl, used a handheld electric mixer to mix till incorporated. Add in sifted flour and mix well till thick and smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until foamy. Gradually add in sugar
and finally add in corn flourbit by bit. Continue whisking till peak foamyou get stiff peaks ,smooth and shiny.
- Gently fold in huge dollop
1/3of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. When everything is well combined then gently fold in remaining egg white smixture till smooth flowing.
- Fold in the cheese, ham and parsley, then pour the
well mixmixture into the chiffon tin and bake for 40 -50minutes.
- When baked, turn upside down to cool. Unmould when completely cool. Best serve within 2 days.
This is my first time trying to bake or even eat a chiffon cake that is savoury. And I must say that it is really nice and something different for a change. So now I can say that I would try more savoury versions when I have the chance. Yes I do have a savoury tooth instead of a sweet one ;) So if ham and cheese is your kind of thing, try it!! You won't be disappointed for sure.