Nuffnang

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Ham and Cheese Chiffon Cake

This is definitely not the first time I'm baking a chiffon cake. But it is a first for me since it's a savoury chiffon cake. Ok, did you wince too like me initially? I thought it was pretty bizarre since chiffons are always meant to be sweet. Oh well, at least that was what I thought.
When I saw this recipe from Wen who got her inspirations from Cuisine Paradise and Kitchen Corner, I thought hey, why not? That combination is perfect to me. See my modifications in blue to the recipe.
 
Ingredients:
 
5 egg yolks
70g water
70g light olive oil
100g cake flour (sieved)
6 egg whites
80g 60g caster sugar
10g corn flour (sieved)
50g Virgina ham (approx 1 slice - chopped)
90g Pizza plus shredded cheese (mixture of moz cheese, cheddar cheese & parmesan cheese)
1 tsp parsley flakes
Method:
  1. Put egg yolks, water and oil in a mixing bowl, used a handheld electric mixer to mix till incorporated. Add in sifted flour and mix well till thick and smooth. Set aside.
  2. Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until foamy. Gradually add in sugar and finally add in corn flour bit by bit. Continue whisking till peak foam you get stiff peaks, smooth and shiny.
  3. Gently fold in huge dollop 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. When everything is well combined then gently fold in remaining egg whites mixture till smooth flowing.
  4. Fold in the cheese, ham and parsley, then pour the well mix mixture into the chiffon tin and bake for 40-50 minutes.
  5. When baked, turn upside down to cool. Unmould when completely cool. Best serve within 2 days.
See my product below!


This is my first time trying to bake or even eat a chiffon cake that is savoury. And I must say that it is really nice and something different for a change. So now I can say that I would try more savoury versions when I have the chance. Yes I do have a savoury tooth instead of a sweet one ;) So if ham and cheese is your kind of thing, try it!! You won't be disappointed for sure.

No comments: