Nuffnang

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Vanilla malted cookies

When I first saw this delectable cookie from Martha Stewart's Cookies, I was intrigued as I have never used malted milk powder for anything other than in my drinks. And even then, I haven't had them in such a long while. Over on this side of the world, we call it Horlicks or Ovaltine. It's such a delightful drink that even sweets were made out of this malted milk powder. I haven't even tasted this sweet in years but I must say that it is definitely one of my favourite childhood sweet :):) this sweet is round and light brown in colour. Yes, same brown colour as the picture below.



For ease of reference, the ingredients from the recipe above is stated in metric below.

Ingredients:
  • 312g plain flour
  • 128g malted milk powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 226.8g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 113.3g cream cheese, room temperature
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degree celsius.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, malted milk powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. Beat butter and cream cheese in another bowl until smooth. Slowly add in sugar. Mix until combined.
  4. Add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
  5. Transfer batter into a large piping bag with a large star tip. Pipe rosettes at least an inch apart. 
  6. Bake for about 14 minutes until edges are slightly brown. 
  7. Let cool and keep in airtight container.



No comments: