You may be wondering what on earth is this dish all about. The name of the dish is simply a Korean spicy squid dish. It can be a side dish or a main dish.
One of the dishes I ate in Korea recently was this spicy squid dish with pork. This dish left a deep impression on me so I googled for the recipe and managed to find a suitable one. However, just like the one I ate, I added pork as well.
Recipe adapted from Aeri's Kitchen
- 2 small squids, cut into rings
- 1 slab of pork loin, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1/8 parts
- 1 carrot, sliced diagonally
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- half head cabbage, sliced
- 2 stalks spring onions, cut into 1-1.5 inches in length
- 2-4 tbsp red pepper paste (gochujang) (depending on the spicyness level you can take)
- 1 tsp to 1 tbsp red pepper powder (depending on the spicyness level you can take)
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cooking wine
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1-2 dashes of white pepper powder
|before cooking - marinated squid and pork|
- Mix all the ingredients together with the sauce ingredients.
- Marinate the ingredients overnight for full absorption of flavours.
- Preheat your wok or pan.
- Pour all the ingredients into the pan.
- Add the cabbage.
- Add suitable amount of water to allow the squid and pork to simmer in the gravy. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes or till almost cooked. *Remember not to overcook the squid.
- Add the spring onions and fry for another 1 minute then turn off heat.
- Serve while hot with rice.