Nuffnang

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Banana, Macadamia Nut and Coconut Coffee cake - THB #11 November 2012

As this is my first post since I joined The Home Bakers, I was quite anxious. At first, I was afraid that my first attempt wouldn't turn out well. But I was pleasantly surprised.

This month we are baking 'Banana, Macadamia Nut and Coconut Coffee cake from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas.

As this cake is chosen by Kit, I shan't elaborate on the recipe further. I did make a few following tweaks to the recipe though:

  1. replaced sour cream with low-fat yoghurt
  2. omitted rum or liquer as I didn't like them
  3. replaced vanilla extract with 1 vanilla pod
  4. replaced flaked coconuts with chopped almonds as my 'tasters' don't eat them
  5. I made little square cuppies instead of a whole cake



A point to note for those who have small blenders like mine: they really OVERFLOW @@ but tasting the 'overflow' was YUMMILICIOUS :)


So how do you think they look after baking? Does look like bread, isn't it? But they are definitely not dry, moist and full of nutty flavours. 


For my first attempt on this combo of banana and macadamia nuts, I'm saying that I will definitely attempt such a combo in future. They taste really good and go well hand in hand :)

Mr G and my tasters say it's moist but flavourful. Although if given me who is not such a nut lover, I would replace the chopped almonds with little chocolate chips ;)

Nevertheless, I sure had loads of fun with this recipe. Hope you will too if you try this.

For the complete recipe of this cake, please visit Kit from I-Lost in Austen. To see my fellow members' bakes on this recipe, please visit The Home Bakers.



9 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Grace, Good morning, Welcome to THB! Lovely bake! Making this into small cakes is a great idea, and most of our fellow bakers chose to bake these in cupcakes and muffin style! Either way these are baked, they are delicious, moist and very good.
Thank you for joining THB and look forward to all our future bakes together!
Have a great Sunday!

Unknown said...

Hi Joyce, thanks for the encouragement and yes, I'm looking forward to our future bakes :)

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Hi Grace, Wow! Fabulous idea making this recipe into small cakes & really glad that you like it too . Looks lovely & inviting indeed. Awesome! Thank you so much for baking this recipe with me & the kind words. Welcome to THB , it"s always a pleasure to have new member to share our baking experience. Have a lovely week ahead. :)

Jasline (Foodie Baker) said...

Hi Grace! Your little cakes look really cute and delicious! Can't wait to bake more together! :)

Emily said...

Grace!

We are 'double' membership friends!

THB and TCS!!!

Love your little square cakes, looking FAB!

Eileen, Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

Welcome to THB. Thanks for baking with us and this is definitely a good platform to meet more friends and exchange ideas. Your cake looks delicious. Yummy :)

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :):) It's going to be fun for our future bakes ahead ;)

Emily - aha, I just realised too...'double' membership frds :D we'll have lots of fun together on double platforms

lena said...

hi grace, thanks for dropping by my blog earlier and just knew that you now a member of THB. welcome and nice to know you!i think most of us who had bakes this banana cake had also enjoyed it, your mini cakes look wonderful! great to have you baking together in future!

Unknown said...

Hi Grace!
Welcome to the group! I just love your little square cakes! They are so cute and yummy!!!