Nuffnang

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Spiced Yellow Rice with Chicken and Vegetables

Seriously, I'm not sure if this would be appropriate for the supposedly November 2012 Cook like a Star challenge as it is postponed to December 2012.  Now that it is known there will only be a December 2012 Cook like a Star challenge, If it isn't, I'll just take it as a nice dish to recommend to everyone :) 

Nevertheless, I'm excited to find this one-pot or dish meal from Martha Stewart. I wanted to make a one dish meal that can satisfy us both for dinner as well as make Mr G happy with the use of spices and poultry :) And I found it!!

Recipe from Martha Stewart can be found here.

I have to admit for a real fact that I'm always very amazed by how chefs or cooks cook rice with just broth by not using the rice cooker. As a weekend cook who wants things to be cooked the fast way or efficiently, I always count on my rice cooker. After today, I'm a totally renewed cook for that fact. For the record, cooking rice with broth over your stove and then in your oven totally rocks!! However, for those who do not have an oven, fret not!! Just cook the whole dish over the stove for about 20-30 minutes and it is just as tasty.



Ok, I'm trying hard not to sound like a country bumpkin who seems to have struck gold. Hahaha!! Anyway, for guys who have ovens, please try to cook this dish over the stove first and then, into the oven.

Nevertheless, Mr G's verdict is a overwhelming 9 over 10 for this dish. YIPPEE!!!! He said the rice and vegetables are absolutely flavourful but the chicken could be a tad more spicy according to his taste. Perhaps next time, I can marinate the chicken with more turmeric powder and curry powder. We shall see!!


A few tweaks I made for this recipe is:
  • 2 yellow onions were added instead of 1 onion
  • 3 small potatoes were added instead of 1 medium potato
  • cumin powder was added instead of cumin seed
  • added frozen vegetables instead of frozen peas

5 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

This is one delicious looking meal! I love meals like this! Cook Like A Star indeed has been postponed to December, but I guess you would have no problem making other Martha Stewart's lovely recipes! She has tons of them on-line! I had a hard time choosing which recipe to try, there are so many that I have bookmarked, but oh, so little time! :)
Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Joyce,

no worries about the postponement, I'll figure out something for December ;) more chances to cook or bake more :)

Indeed, u have the same dilemma as me, too many recipes but too little time ;)

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Hello Grace! This looks good... when December comes, you can repost it for the Cook Like A Star :)

Unknown said...

hey Mich, sounds good. I figured by the time Dec is here, more Martha Stewart's recipes will be up ;) Way to go everyone!!

Zoe said...

Hi Grace,

I'm sorry that the event has been postponed. Wish to see you when we are cooking or baking MS's recipes at Dec.

Zoe