This is probably one of my unglamest picture for fried rice. Well, sorry I'm trying to take better pictures to tantalise you more :) For now, this has got to do.
Fried rice is one of the few recipes that you can cook up when you are feeling lazy and just want to eat a bowl of rice mixed with many things or a few things.
But what you need to remember is, fried rice always tastes better with overnight rice that you've cooked and chilled in the fridge. The reason for this is, when rice is chilled in the fridge overnight, it dries up the moisture in the rice and gives you perfect fried rice.
1-2 cups overnight rice (depending on how many people you are cooking for)
1 packet beansprouts (washed and drained dry of water)
1 packet fish cake (cut into slices and strips if you want)
button mushrooms (halved)
some lean pork or chicken (marinated in korean bulgogi marinade or just simply, soya sauce, chinese wine, pepper and some corn starch or cornflour)
spring onion or scallions (chopped)
a few tbsp sambal chilli (if you like the spicyness)
2 eggs (beaten)
1-2 tsp chopped garlic
- Heat the wok and fry chopped garlic till fragrant.
- Pour in the fish cake and button mushrooms. Fry and mix well.
- Stir fry the pork or chicken till half cooked or whitish in colour.
- Add the beansprouts and stir fry everything till beansprouts are almost cooked.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Make a well in the middle of the ingredients and pour the egg mixture in the well.
- Stir the ingredients and mix the egg mixture well.
- Add the seasonings - sambal chilli, spring onions and some pepper to taste.
- When all is mixed well, you can turn off the fire and dish up.