Nuffnang

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Simple coleslaw

Have you ever thought of making and eating your own coleslaw? Just like those in Kenny Rogers, KFC, etc? I always thought about it and had the impression it was pretty difficult to make but when Mr G said nah, it's absolutely easy peasy. I was like, you sure??? Impossible! The ones outside tasted nice and yummy.

So I googled for some coleslaw recipes and I get a whole jumbo mambo load of recipes with tons of ingredients etc etc. Zzzzzzzzzzzz yes I like simple recipes that cause no fuss or at least, very little fuss and cleanup. Finally, I found one and modified it. And of course, I set off to buy a mini 'shredder' so I wouldn't have to get a gigantic one where it takes up counter space (once again).

Check out my little 'shredder' from Daiso!

 

Yes it has a little magnet behind so that it can be stuck to the fridge but well, I think this magnetic function is a little silly as it will go into my cupboard. I suppose some people do have such use since everyone does things in their own ways.

Ok back to my simple coleslaw. My recipe is adapted from CDkitchen

Ingredients are really simple. All you need is a half cabbage (your cabbage need not be a huge one, mine is pretty small in size like those you can get in our local supermarket, NTUC).
You need to shred them till you get a bowlful. If you are using the mini shredder I've gotten, hold it at a 45 degree angle to get shreds like these.

half head cabbage, shredded

Add a medium red onion and shred it too. *Note: red onions are sweeter so add those instead of the yellow ones.


shredded cabbage with shredded onions

You can add shredded carrots too. However, I didn't add it for 2 reasons - I don't like to eat too much carrots as too much carotene make my skin turn yellow for some strange reason and also, I tried to shred the carrot using the mini shredder but somehow, it turns out to be HUGE shreds so it wouldn't gel with the dressing later so I picked it out :( Seriously think that the mini shredder probably works better on vegetables with layers like onions and cabbages.

When you are done with the shredding, mix them well. Then put in about 4-5 tablespoonfuls of mayonnaise and mix well till all the vegetables are well coated with mayonnaise.

Simple coleslaw

If you like your coleslaw to have stronger flavours, you may add sugar, salt and a few tablespoonfuls of vinegar according to your taste. But I like it just the way it is, simple and yet easy.

Now the coleslaw is ready to be chilled in the refrigerator till you are ready to eat it.

Do remember that you should not keep your coleslaw till the next day as it would not be fresh anymore.

No comments: