Nuffnang

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Mussels, Clams and Shrimps in Spicy Broth

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about soups, curries and warm broths. It must have been the weather. Do you have that feeling at this time of the year? Hehe with the constant rain daily, I'm not really complaining. At least it is better than having haze. I love smelling the air after the rain anyway. The lovely cool breeze always makes me smile. It's like how they say, after the rainy storms, things will get better!! Aye!! It's nearing Christmas already!!

Giada DeLaurentis is probably someone you might have seen on the television every now and then. For me, I always love her bright smiles and pristine white teeth ;) Not to mention that she does make lovely and yummy Italian food. I came across this recipe from her book "Everyday Italian" and thought it would be a good way to cook seafood soup together with some added spice but yet not too much :) See my modifications in blue below.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried crushed red pepper (I used about 1 tbsp, adjust according to the spicyness level you can take)
1 cup dry white wine (I used Riesling which is my favourite for cooking)
1 can diced tomatoes
24 small clams, scrubbed
24 mussels, debearded
20 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
1/2 cup torn basil leaves
warm crusty bread

Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. 
  2. Add the garlic, bay leaf, and crushed red pepper. Saute until the garlic is tender, about 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down and the flavors blend, about 5 minutes. 
  3. Stir in the clams. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. 
  4. Stir in the mussels. Cover and cook until the clams and mussels open, about 5 minutes longer.
  5. Using a tongs, transfer the opened shellfish to serving bowls (discard any shellfish that do not open). 
  6. Add the shrimp and basil to the simmering tomato broth. Simmer until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes. Divide the shrimp and tomato broth among the bowls. Serve with the warm bread.



The whole bowl of yummy seafood seems to have flooded the soup. I love the fact that there is no need for added salt or anything. The briny taste of the seafood as well as bay leaf, tomatoes and wine gives the whole soup a very wholesome flavour. Do try it for a very easy soup for a chilly evening. You will love it!!

I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs - Giada DeLaurentis.


I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books#29 organized by Joyce of kitchenflavours.

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

No comments: