Nuffnang

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Chocolate Brownie Cookie

Mr G is a big chocolate fan. I am also a chocolate fan but just not as crazy as him. Many a time, he used to tell me, please bake your signature brownies. Haha ok, he didn't "tell" me, sometimes it sounds like he's begging for it. When I feel up to it, I do bake the brownies as per his request because afterall, Alice Medrich never fails. But when I do want to have something different but yet, chocolate. I will still go on a venture to seek for more chocolate goodies.

This time, I came across Bon Appetit magazine, January 2014 issue, page 94. There it says, "if a fudgy brownie and chewy chocolate chip cookie had a baby, it would be this decadent creation". I'm SOLD!!! I just had to bake it.

Best part of this recipe is, it's gluten-free. So fret not, you peeps who are gluten intolerant. There's still light in the world of desserts for you for sure :)

See my modifications in blue below.

Ingredients:

375g 180g icing sugar (I would tweak it to 150g)
88.5g cocoa powder
1 tsp salt (I used 1/2 tsp salt)
2 large egg whites (I used 3 medium egg whites)
1 large egg
113g dark chocolate
3 tbsp cocoa nibs (I bought this from iherb)

Method:

  1. Place racks in lower and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 350° 170 degrees celsius (You may use 180 degrees celsius depending on your oven temperature for cookies)
  2. Whisk powdered icing sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl, then whisk in egg whites and egg; fold in chocolate and cacao nibs. 
  3. Spoon batter by the tablespoonful onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2” apart. To avoid the cookie from spreading too much, I waited for about 5 to 10 minutes before using a 1 tbsp ice-cream scoop to spoon batter onto baking sheets.
  4. Bake, rotating sheets once, until cookies are puffed, cracked, and set just around the edges, 14–16 minutes. I used about 13 to 14 minutes.
  5. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cookies cool on pan (they’ll firm up).


Despite the brownish-black and not so appealing look, I would say that this chocolate brownie cookie is very much like a brownie. I would bake it a few minutes longer if I want to achieve more crispy edges. If there's anything I want to tweak for this recipe, it would be the sweetness, I would reduce the sugar to 150g instead. Nevertheless, I love the crunch of the chocolate chips and cacao nibs. They add texture to this cookie. You must try it!

I'm submitting this to Little Thumbs Up - February 2015 organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of my little favourite DIY and Grace of Life can be Simple.


I'm also submitting this to We Should Cocoa hosted by Katie of Recipe for Perfection.



No comments: