Nuffnang

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs, it's Mystery Box Madness week. If you have no inkling what a Mystery Box is, you might have a clue if you have taken a glimpse at the Mystery Box challenges on Masterchef Australia. Basically, it's a box where it contains various items whereby you can choose to cook/bake all or some of the items. In our Mystery Box Madness for this week, we are given a choice to choose 3 items out of all the ingredients in the Box.

For this MBB, I've chosen chocolate, rolled oats and cinnamon. To me, these 3 ingredients symbolize a simple but yet homely dessert that is close to the heart. If you haven't eaten oatmeal raisin cookie then you should definitely stay on this page. But even if you have, you really might like this so do bookmark this to try.

This recipe is from Jamie Oliver. To me, Jamie is a food hero that uses a lot of simple and beautiful ingredients but yet, I've always link Jamie with savoury foods and never with sweet desserts. So you can tell that I was pleasantly surprised to find this staple cookie in his repertoire. Now I'm getting excited as I believe this cookie is sure to be yummy.

This recipe from Jamie Oliver is from page 52 of Jamie Magazine December 2009 - D.I.Y. cookie jars.  See my modifications in blue.

Ingredients:
115g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
150g raisins
165g rolled oats
100g chocolate chips
125g brown sugar
1 vanilla pod
115g softened butter
1 egg
Method:
  1. Beat softened butter with sugar and vanilla pod seeds scraped with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
  2. Mix in 1 egg. Combine the rest of the ingredients until smooth. To give the cookie batter chocolatey, I also added some dark chocolate chips.
  3. Refrigerate the dough for half an hour, then make small cookies with the help of a tablespoon and put them on a lined cookie sheet, leaving room for them to spread.
  4. Flatten the cookies with a tablespoon, they should not be regular and nice to see. 
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden at the edges but soft in the middle. Leave them to cool completely; when you remove from the oven, they are still soft but they will get firmer in minutes.
  

I love how this oatmeal raisin cookie tastes like after keeping the batter in the fridge for sometime. The sugars and ingredients gel together very well after sometime and that is a wholesome cookie for me. But of course, if you are not a oatmeal or raisin person, you probably wouldn't like it very much. Thanks, Jamie!!

I've also prepacked some cookie batter and froze them so it can baked at anytime I have a cookie craving ;)

I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs.


I'm submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books #19 organized by Joyce of kitchenflavours.

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

No comments: