Nuffnang

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Harum Manis

Have you ever heard of this dessert before? I have never, at least not until I've seen it in Bengawan Solo (a popular local desserts/cake shop). Harum Manis is apparently a malay kuih/kueh that is spongy and soft in texture, fragrant that is 'harum' in malay and sweet that is 'manis' in malay.

The best part about making this kuih is that you don't have to preheat your oven. You just need to get your steamer ready. This is what I love about it. You need not have an oven to make nice desserts. Steamed desserts can be equally yummy.

This recipe I used was shared by travelling foodies and stay@home mum who obtained the recipe from Rossya. See my modifications/notes in blue.

Ingredients:

300g gula melaka
350ml water
50g butter (salted)
350g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
200g 150g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod (I used 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
riped bananas (I used about 1.5 bananas)
 
Method:
  1. Cook the gula melaka with water until dissolved. You'll be surprised to see how quickly the gula melaka dissolves so don't worry about putting the whole block of gula melaka into the water. It took about 10-15 minutes for me. Thereafter, sieve the gula melaka to ensure that the gula melaka infused liquid doesn't have small bits of gula melaka in it.
  2. Turn off the fire and add melted butter into the gula melaka infused liquid and let it melt in the liquid. Stir to combine.
  3. Beat the eggs, vanilla extract and sugar until soft and fluffy.
  4. Stir in the flour bit by bit with a spatula and stir. This will result in a thick batter.
  5. Grease the moulds with butter and pour a little batter into the mould.
  6. Fill the batter until half full and place banana slices on top.
  7. Steam for about 15-20 minutes and let cool.
 
See how my harum manis turned out.
 
 
Honestly, it's my first malay steamed kuih. I absolutely love the caramelised banana top of this kuih. However, I think it would taste better at the bottom with less stirring. That being said, for those of you attempting this recipe, please remember to fold in the flour with lesser strokes. It would make the dough less 'tough'. Nevertheless, Mr G loved this and finished at least 3 or maybe even 4 in 1 sitting. I think it is good enough for him haha!
 
I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest #11 Sept 2014 : Singapore hosted by Life can be Simple.
 
 
Link up your recipe of the week

No comments: