Nuffnang

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Banana Cake

Ok I'm getting better and trying to update my posts whenever I post up the pictures of my completed 'product'. Haha! I'm still trying. It really takes time to cook or bake and then post up almost immediately.
 
Do you like bananas or at least bananas in your desserts? For me, I do. I like the taste and fragrance of the bananas in cakes. I also miss the old skool butter cakes as well as banana cakes. Yeah, those days in school where you can buy a slice for just a few cents worth? Those are the ones I truly reminisce.
 
Today I'm trying to replicate that taste and feeling again. I happen to stumble across Wen's Delights and thought maybe this recipe might be it. For the full recipe, you may use this recipe instead. See my modifications or comments in blue.
 
Ingredients:
 
2-3 eggs
130g caster sugar
200g bananas (I used about 2.5 medium sized bananas, no need to mash the bananas)
150g top flour (I used cake flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
100g corn oil
1/8 tsp banana essence (optional) (I omitted this)
 
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
  2. Grease and line a 8 inch round or square tin.
  3. Sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda twice.
  4. Whisk eggs, sugar and bananas at maximum speed until ribbon stage. To know how your batter should look like at ribbon stage, see this video.
  5. Once your batter reachs ribbon stage, fold in flour with a spatula and mix well.
  6. Add in oil and mix well until the batter is shiny and flowing.
  7. Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes. This took 40 minutes for me with the fan function.
My banana cake turned out quite light and soft. This is abit too soft for me to obtain that taste I reminisce though I love my cakes soft and light. I will continue to search for that tightly crumbed but yet firm banana cake that I miss so much.
 
 
I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest #11 Sept 2014 : Singapore hosted by Life can be Simple.
 
 
Link up your recipe of the week

No comments: