Nuffnang

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Rosemary Buttered Rolls

To go along with Pioneer Woman's Sunday aka Saturday night stew, I have decided to go for her No Knead Dinner Rolls as our carbo substitute instead of rice. As you can tell, I do get tired of rice sometimes unlike Mr G, this is definitely my preferred choice. Surprisingly, Mr G is ok with it too. Psst, when he says it's ok, just cheong (a chinese dialect word which simply means, go for it!!) so he won't change his mind HAHA!!!

From her latest book, Food from my Frontier, Pioneer Woman's original recipe would yield you 24 rolls. Since it's only for the 2 of us, I made half the recipe. I hope I won't regret that :P

Sidetrack a bit, have you seen her awesome cast iron pan that she used for these dinner rolls?? Aww, yes my heart swooned for a while and then my practical mind started saying that I have so many pans and pots that the cupboard is going to give way soon. Haiz, I think when I do a springcleaning, I might just decide to buy!! :):) Let's see what happens.

Honestly, I was comparing both of her recipes - dinner rolls vs buttered rosemary rolls. I think I'm going to 'marry' them together.

Ingredients:

  • 946ml Milk
  • 200g Sugar
  • 219g Vegetable Oil
  • 9 cups Flour (4 cups - 500g, 1 cup - 125g)
  • 2 packages (4 1/2 Tsp.) Active Dry Yeast
  • 1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
  • 2 Tablespoons Salt
Method:
  1. Pour milk into a stock pot or Dutch oven. Add sugar and vegetable oil. Stir to combine. Now, turn the burner on medium to medium-low and “scald” the mixture/lukewarm (between 90 and 110 degrees).
  2. Before the mixture boils, turn off the heat. NOW. Very important stuff here: walk away. Walk away and allow this mixture to cool to warm/lukewarm. The mixture will need to be warm enough to be a hospitable environment for the yeast, but not so hot that it kills the yeast and makes it inactive. I don’t usually use a thermometer, but if you’d like to, a good temperature is between 90 and 110 degrees. I usually feel the side of the pan with the palm of my hand. If it’s hot at all, I wait another 20 minutes or so. The pan should feel comfortably warm.
  3. When the mixture is the right temperature add in 500g and 2 packages of (4-1/2 teaspoons) of active dry yeast. After the yeast and flour are nicely incorporated, add another 500g of flour. Stir together and allow to sit, covered with a tea towel or lid, for an hour. After about an hour it should have almost doubled in size. If it hasn’t changed much, put it in a warm (but turned off ) oven for 45 minutes or so. When it had risen sufficiently add 125g flour, 1 heaping teaspoon of baking powder, 1 scant teaspoon of baking soda and about 2 tablespoons of salt. Stir (or knead just a bit) until combined.
  4. Butter 1 or 2 muffin pans. Form the rolls by pinching off a walnut sized piece of dough and rolling it into a little ball. Repeat and tuck three balls of dough into each buttered muffin cup. Continue until pan is full. Cover and allow to rise for about 1 to 2 hours.
  5. After rising, brush rolls with melted butter. Sprinkle on chopped rosemary. Brush with additional butter. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
  6. Bake in a 400-degree 170 degrees celsius oven until golden brown, about 17 to 20  12-15 minutes.
Personal Notes:
  • If you don't have a thermometer, use PW's method by touching the pot or pan with your bare hands. But be careful though. For me, the pot actually needed to be cooled a good half hour or more before you can really touch the pot with your bare hands and feel that it's more than just warm.
  • The only two things I did were to just use my spoon to mix the dough really well and use my hands to 'round' the dough to put on my muffin pan.
I love the rosemary 'perfume' that I keep sniffing from my oven when I baked these bread. If you are wondering why do these bread rolls look flatish, it's because I put them in a flat pan and I didn't combine mini rolls like what Ree did. Anyway, does it really matter? What matters is, how it tastes. And can I tell you that it tastes buttery, rosemary-ily and best of all, so soft that you keep wanting to eat more!!
So who is still thinking about your bread machine? Or your mixer? Or even using your hands to knead? Ree is really a brilliant one!! I love her to bits!

Now, let us have some good use for this dinner rolls, shan't we? :)

I am submitting this post to the monthly event, Cook like a Star hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out, Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Mich of Piece of CakeTo join us, simply cook or bake any recipe from any Ree Drummond websites or cookbooks for the whole month of September 2013. You can link your posts at any one of the hosts' websites.

Your post must be a current post for September 2013 - please do not link older posts. Please mention Cook like a Star in your post and link back to Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsMich of Piece of Cake and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.


I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books #4 organized by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.


I'm also linking this post to September 2013 Cooking With Herbs Blog Challenge hosted by Lavender and Lovage.


No comments: