Nuffnang

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Roast pumpkin with garlic and thyme

When I first saw this recipe from Diana Henry, I thought nice vegetable dish. And then I was thinking, erm how do I make Mr G eat that too? So I thought of this dish with another dish as a complete meal. That would do the trick. If just eating veggies alone for dinner, I worry I'll be frowned at. LOL!! Yeah Mr G loves his proteins for sure.

I didn't manage to find squash though I'm sure that particular supermarket sells it. When I got there, there was no squash and only pumpkin. Bummer!! Of course, pumpkin is in the same family so it would definitely do the trick. In any case, we are never one to eat pumpkin with its skin though I know it's definitely edible. Yes, so I'm going to do the tiresome act of removing the skin and all.

I love how easy this recipe from Diana Henry's Pure Simple Cooking: Effortless meals every day is without much hassle and I don't even need to spend hours just prepping and cooking for it. Don't you already love this recipe just by seeing the title of her book? I love it when I see 'effortless meals'. See my modifications in blue. This serves 4 for a side dish so tweak the portions accordingly.

Ingredients:

900g squash or pumpkin
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
4 sprigs of theme (I used about 2-3 tbsp dried theme)
6 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 head broccoli, cut into small pieces

Method:

  1. Halve the squash and scoop out and discard the seeds and fibres. Cut into slices about 2cm (¾ in) thick at the thickest part. 
  2. Put the olive oil and butter in a shallow roasting tin and heat gently. Add the wedges of squash and broccoli and season well. Pull the leaves off the thyme and scatter those on, too, with some seasoning. Turn the wedges over, making sure you get herbs, fat and seasoning all over them.
  3. Put into an oven preheated to 190ºC/375ºF/gas mark 5 180 degrees celsius and roast for 30-35 minutes, or until tender and slightly caramelized. Baste the squash pieces every so often while they’re cooking and sprinkle the garlic over 15 minutes before the end of cooking time.



This veggie dish tastes super fresh and sweet together with the earthy flavour of thyme. I will definitely make this dish again on a lazy day ;)

On a side note, I also steamed pork ribs with plum sauce for Mr G to make it a complete meal for him since he loves his proteins.


Don't you just love the colours of our dinner tonight? I did, with all the vibrant colours. Best of all, the dishes taste yummy and appetizing.

I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs.



No comments: