Nuffnang

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014

I have been away from blogging for a long long while and away from cooking and baking for just as long. Despite this, I have been reading some of my blogger friends' blogs but just silently reading and enjoying :) Yes, it's a long break that I have wanted to take for a while already. 2013 has full of ups and downs - healthwise for both me and Mr G. Indeed it is a roller coaster ride. Looking back, now it is time for me to have new year resolutions that I will stick to ;) Yes, don't you think sometimes we tend to have many resolutions and then, in the middle of the year, we lose sight of them. Honestly, I'm one of those who are guilty about it.

So have you been welcoming the new year with new resolutions? I believe you have. It's already the 8th day into 2014 and I'm sure everyone is settling in well - workplace, studies etc. 

For me, into the new year, I want to exercise more regularly, not just for beauty but also for health reasons. Also, to watch what I eat as they say, you are what you eat. Lastly, I want to live my life more fully.

Source: wallpaper
To begin this new chapter, I celebrate by cooking curry for Mr G. Something that he always requests *yawnz* Haha yeah he never tires from eating curry.

This recipe is from Pioneer Woman who adapted it from Ivory Hut. Of course, I have also modified it accordingly in blue ;)

Ingredients:
  • 1 packet chicken pieces or drumsticks or chicken wings (whichever you fancy)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • some black pepper
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 12 whole tomatoes, quartered
  • 8 cloves garlic
  • 8 sprigs cilantro or parsley
  • 2 tbsp meat curry powder and 4 tbsp chilli powder
  • 2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil
  • jalapeno pepper (optional)
  • potatoes (optional)

Method:
  1. Place chicken in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and add mustard.
  2. In a food processor, chop half the onion, tomato, cilantro, garlic, and black pepper (or jalapeno/habanero).
  3. Add mixture to the bowl. Stir the whole mixture together so that the chicken is totally coated in the seasoning ingredients. Allow chicken to marinate for at least two hours.
  4. After chicken has marinated, make the curry slurry: Add curry powder, chilli powder and turmeric to a bowl. Pour in 3/4 cup water and stir until dissolved.
  5. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-low heat. Pour in the curry slurry and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Curry slurry will deepen in color. If the mixture becomes too dry during cooking, add a little water.
  6. When the curry slurry has become a thick paste, chop the other half of the onion and add it in. Allow the onions to soften, then add in the chicken. Stir to coat the chicken, then cook, half covered, for five minutes. Turn the chicken, then add in 1 to 2 cups of water. Shake the pan and allow the chicken to cook until done, stirring every five minutes. Cook for about 20 to 15 minutes.
  7. At the end, be sure to taste and adjust salt and pepper. Serve chicken over rice; spoon sauce over the top.
Note:
  • Instead of adding salt, you may wish to add 1 chicken stock cube (less sodium) for more chicken flavour.
  • For my version below, I added long beans and cauliflower to make a full one dish meal.


No comments: