Nuffnang

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Mango Mousse Cake

Yes, this is a cake that I have never tried or dared to attempt before. The best of all, I don't even know what stopped me from baking this cake in the first place. I guess it could be the layers that stump me. Yes, I love to bake but I'm also not shy to admit that much as I love to bake, I tend to fall into my comfort zone where I want baking to be as easy as it can and as simple as it can be. Well, sometimes we have to give ourselves that teeny bit of challenge isn't it?


Source: http://wekosh.com

Me: "BFF, what cake do you like to eat?"
BFF: "Hmm I like mango...mango mousse cake"

There you go! It wasn't that difficult finding out what cake she likes ;P

And so I 'set' off to find the perfect recipe for mango mousse cake. I tried to find the recipe from various books but can't seem to find it. So, I consulted my trusted friend, google :) It seems that many people have attempted one or two trusted recipes which seem pretty good. So, I'm going to try one of it. This recipe is from Rei.

Ingredients:

Sponge Cake Base:

(A) 
2 egg whites
40g fine caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

(B)
2 egg yolks
30g fine caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
50g milk
24g corn oil
68g cake flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate baking soda

Method:
  1. Prepare and line a 7x7 baking tin and preheat oven to 150 degrees celsius.
  2. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together till pale and fluffy.
  3. Add vanilla essence/extract, milk and corn oil to the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
  4. Sift cake flour with baking soda and add to the egg yolk mixture. Fold in swift strokes till incorporated and set aside.
  5. In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites and sugar until frothy.
  6. Add cream of tartar to the egg white mixture.
  7. Add sugar to the egg white mixture, 1 tbsp at a time.
  8. Mix the egg whites till they are stiff and glossy.
  9. Add a dollop of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture and fold in until incorporated. Add the remaining egg white mixture and fold until incorporated.
  10. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.
  11. Let the cake cool and slice horizontally into 2 slices.
Mango Mousse:

17g gelatine powder
60g hot water
350 whipping cream
3 tbsp icing sugar
300g mango puree
1 tbsp rum
200g to 220g cubed mango

Method:
  1. In a mixing bowl, whip whipping cream with icing sugar to soft peak state. Refrigerate to chill.
  2. In a small bowl, dissolve gelatine in hot water.
  3. When the gelatine is fully dissolved, add to mango puree. Mix well.
  4. Add the mango mixture to whipped cream. Mix well until incorporated.
Assembly of Cake:
  1. Use a cake ring or a cake tin with a removable bottom lid, place a layer of cake and pour in the mango mousse or use a large piping tip to pipe the mango mousse over the cake. Do remember to fill the cake corners.
  2. Add mango cubes and fill them with a bit of mousse.
  3. Let it set in the fridge for about 10 minutes or so.
  4. Lay another cake layer and pour the remaining mango mousse over.
  5. Let it set for about 30 to 45 minutes in the fridge.
  6. Meanwhile, prepare the mango puree topping as below.
  7. Wait till the mousse is set and the mango topping is cooled before pouring the mango topping over the mango mousse cake.
  8. Let the cake chill for at least 3 hours or more before removing the cake ring.
Mango puree topping:

150g mango puree
1 tbsp gelatine powder
4 to 4 1/2 tbsp boiling water

Method:
  1. Dissolve the gelatine in hot water.
  2. Mix in the mango puree.
  3. Let cool.
Check out how my imperfect cake looks!!




What do you think of my first attempt? I thought tastewise, it was pretty good but lookswise, I probably need to improve more. The next time, I'll probably bake a square one like Rei did. Thanks Rei for the awesome recipe!!


If you love what you see above, please vote for me on AFC!! This means alot to me :) 

No comments: