Nuffnang

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Grilled Chicken with Tangy Yucatecan Spices

From the start of this year, I've decided to embark on a new project. It was to enrich myself so that I can do even more at work. Hence, I have been been at my books regularly from time to time.

As I have been having some time off work, I decided to continue my revision. Finally, I think I've gotten my breakthrough today with mindmapping!! That stuff is seriously way kewl. Yes, that is probably ancient history already but trust me, it is definitely usable at any age and any time. It made everything go all clear now. 


Yes, just in case you are curious how the mindmapping went. Now I can think straight already.

And so, this week is Mexican week!! Sometime back in 2012 IHCC cooked with Rick Bayless who is a Mexican chef. If that name rings a bell, you are spot on! He is often seen on "Mexico with Rick Bayless" on Food Network.

Enough said. Let's move on to the recipe that is from Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday. I'm famished!! See my modifications in blue.

Ingredients:

For the Yucatecan Garlic-Spice Marinade

1 head garlic, broken into individual cloves (you want about 12 cloves)
1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
pinch ground cloves (I used about 2-3 cloves)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, preferably Mexican canela
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
Salt, to taste
4 chicken breast halves or 8 thighs (about 2 pounds total), skin and bones intact
1 cup chicken broth

Method:
  1. Cut a small slit in the side of each garlic clove, and place them all into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 30 seconds. When cool enough to handle, slip off the papery husks. Put them into a running food processor one at a time, letting each one get fully chopped before adding the next. Stop the food processor, and add the remaining marinade ingredients, along with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Process until smooth.
  2. Scrape half the marinade into a medium bowl, and the other half into a small saucepan. To the saucepan, add the broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more, depending on how salty the broth is to begin with). To the bowl, add the chicken pieces and toss to coat evenly with the marinade.
  3. Get your grill ready. If using a gas grill, heat one side to medium. Or light a charcoal fire and let it burn until the charcoal is covered with white ash and about medium-hot, then move the coals to one side.
  4. Lay the chicken pieces skin side down on the grill over the medium-hot fire. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until nice and brown. Flip them over with tongs, moving them to the cooler side of the grill. Cook until completely tender (the juices will run clear when the meat is pierced with a fork), about 10 more minutes, maybe longer if the pieces are very large. I preheated the oven to 180 degrees celsius and on grill mode. Then I baked the chicken thighs for about 30 to 40 minutes, turning every 10 to 15 minutes thereabout. 

Though it looks as if it didn't look that good, it was merely delish I would say especially used on very fresh chicken. Yup the freshest you can get. It really brings out the clean flavours of the grilled chicken. Yums!! Mr G simply whacked 4 of these!! He loves it. You should try too.

I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs - Rick Bayless.


I'm also submitting this post to Cooking with Herbs - March - Easter and Spring Herbs organized by Karen of Lavender and Lovage.

Cooking with Herbs Lavender and Lovage

No comments: