Nuffnang

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Overnight oatmeal

I'm sure you must have heard of overnight oatmeal. This healthy dish has been raved about by many others on social media for quite a while. I didn't think it would be nice or rather, I'm a person who sticks to the usual food I eat but every now and then, when I feel adventurous, I would try but yet have a recourse - throwing it away if I really don't like it =X
This week at IHCC, we have been told that we will experience the joy of make-ahead meals. I love the idea of that! Make-ahead meals are always so much easier. At least you prep ahead and then have lesser work to do at your meal. I'm sure you like the sound of that too right?
I decided to make Ellie Krieger's overnight oatmeal and try it. It can't be that bad right? Sometimes, something new can be good as well. It is just a matter of perspective :)
This recipe is created by Ellie Krieger. I made a few modifications in blue.
Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted whole almonds (I omitted this as I didn't get it)
1 cup nonfat milk
1 cup nonfat plain yoghurt (I used greek yoghurt)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3 tbsp honey (I used agave honey)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup green seedless California grapes, quartered (I used 1 to 2 cups fresh blueberries)
1 cup red seedless California grapes, quartered
1 tsp to 1 tbsp chia seeds
Method:
  1. Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, 3-5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, and then chop them coarsely.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the milk, yogurt, oats, honey, vanilla and cinnamon. Add half of the almonds, half of the green grapes and half of the red grapes and stir to combine. I added chia seeds and stirred to combine.
  3. Divide the mixture evenly among four 12-ounce (1 ½ cup) jars. Top each with the remaining grapes blueberries and chopped almonds. 
  4. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours. 
  5. The jars will keep up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator. (Note: for extra crunchiness, top with the remaining almonds right before serving).

This may look like a simple bowl of oatmeal that don't look appealing at all. Trust me, it is really very tasty and yummy. You may add the nuts or other kinds of nuts that appeal to you for added crunch. I love this make-ahead meal. Definitely great for tea snack or even breakfast.

I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs.

No comments: