Nuffnang

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Meatballs with Simple Marinara

Finally, my book arrived!! If you are wondering what book it is, it is Ellie Krieger's Weeknight Wonders.
So this week is my 1st with Eating with Ellie, a group of like-minded people who cook and bake together with Ellie Krieger. Although I have only been introduced to Ellie Krieger very recently, I must say that I do like her recipes. They are very easy, not much fuss but yet very delicious. It is something that a working woman does need often so that we do not eat out always. This way we can have a healthy lifestyle too!

This recipe is from page 107 of Weeknight Wonders. See my modifications in blue.
Ingredients:
5 medium cloves garlic (minced)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp dried basil
3 tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg (I used 3 small eggs)
1 pound lean ground beef I used about 500g chicken/pork (use whichever meat variation you like or just 1 type of meat)
1/2 cup quick cooking oats (I used steel cut/old fashioned oats)
1/4 tsp salt
1 bunch of bak choy, cut into edible sizes
Method:
  1. Mix eggs with oats and allow the oats to soften.
  2. Heat the oil in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Put half the garlic into the saucepan and cook until fragrant, for 30 seconds.
  3. Add the tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, 2 tsp each of the dried basil and dried oregnao, and 1/4 tsp of pepper and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low tand simmer while you make the meatballs.
  4. Peel and finely grate the carrot. Finely grate the Parmesan cheese.
  5. Lightly beat the egg into a large bowl.
  6. Add the grated carrot, grated Parmesan cheese, beef, oats, basil and oregano, the remaining garlic, remaining 1/4 tsp pepper and salt to the bowl, and using your hands, mix to incorporate together with the egg and oats.
  7. Form the meat mixture into 8 meatballs and place them gently into the sauce.
  8. Return the sauce to a boil, add the bak choy, cover, lower the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve garnish with the remaining Parmesan cheese.


When I took a bite into these homemade meatballs, I was pleasantly surprised. I never expected the meatballs to taste so moist, flavourful with the spices in it. Most of the acclaimed homemade meatballs outside usually taste tough and hard to chew. I'm very glad that these ones aren't that way. You bet I'll make these meatballs over and over again. These are definitely very good for meatball marinara pasta. Great ideas for busy mummies!! 

I'm submitting this post to Eating with Ellie.

I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books#28 organized by Joyce of kitchenflavours.

                       photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

I'm also submitting this post to Cooking with Herbs organized by Karen of lavenderandlovage.

Cooking with Herbs for Autumn: Bay, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme

Link up your recipe of the week

No comments: