This week is about making side dishes that we fancy. I thought of making a side dish that is healthy. Erm, not that Ellie's other dishes aren't healthy. I just happen to favour green beans :P
In any case, I added cauliflower too as I had a head of them waiting in the fridge for me. This recipe is from Ellie's The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.
1 pound green beans
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup sliced shallots (about 2 medium)
3/4 pound assorted fresh mushrooms, (ie: button, baby bella, shiitake, oyster, chanterelle), sliced
freshly ground pepper
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Put green beans in a microwave-safe bowl with the water. Cover tightly and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Carefully remove the cover, drain in a colander, shaking off any excess water, and set aside. I boiled the green beans and cauliflower instead of using the microwave.
- While the beans are cooking, heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until softened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the water they release has evaporated and they begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the green beans and cauliflower and stir to combine and rewarm.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs - sensational sides.
I'm also submitting this post to Alphabakes November 2015 hosted by Caroline of Caroline Makes and Ros of The more than occasional baker.