Nuffnang

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Spinach, Broccoli, and Goat Cheese Frittata

This morning, I woke up and then couldn't get back to sleep. So I decided to cook whatever I have in the fridge to give Mr G a hearty breakfast. His favourite is frittata so I'm going to make a healthier version by Ellie Krieger. This frittata is from Ellie's Weeknight Wonders.

Please see my modifications in blue below as I used what I have in the fridge.
 
Ingredients:
 
5 large eggs (I used 8 eggs instead)
5 large egg whites
1 medium leek or small onion, chopped
3 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves I used a few dashes of dried parsley
40 chives I used 1 whole broccoli, cut into smaller pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces soft goat cheese (feta)
1 packet of minced pork
1 packet of cremini mushrooms
 
Method:
  1. Preheat the broiler oven to 180 degrees celsius.
  2. Combine the whole eggs, egg whites, and 2 tablespoons water in a medium bowl and whisk well. 
  3. If using leek, slice off the dark green top and discard. Slice the remaining white and light green parts in half lengthwise and rinse well between each layer to remove any trapped dirt, then finely chop. Otherwise, dice the onion. Coarsely chop the spinach, parsley, and all but about 8 of the chives.
  4. Heat the oil in a medium (10-inch) cast-iron or nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the leek or onion and cook, stirring until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. I added the cremini mushrooms and minced pork. Add the spinach, parsley, chives, salt, and pepper and cook until the spinach is just wilted, 1 minute.
  5. Pour the egg mixture over the greens in the skillet, covering them evenly. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook until the egg mixture has set around the edges of the pan but not in the middle, 8 to 10 minutes about 1-3 minutes.
  6. Distribute the cheese over the top of the eggs in 10 to 12 dollops and scatter the reserved whole chives on top. Place the skillet under the broiler about 2 inches from the heat and broil until the surface is set and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. I put the whole skillet into the oven for about 10-20 minutes to let the frittata set well. Be careful not to overcook or the egg mixture will become tough.
  7. Cut the frittata into 4 wedges and serve.

 
This is a good and filling breakfast especially if you are going no-carbo or low carbo. Eggs are good form of protein despite the myth of eggs giving you high cholestrol. Mr G loves this variation and it was gone in no time.
 
I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs October Potluck.

 
I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books#27 by Joyce of kitchenflavours.

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg


Link up your recipe of the week


No comments: