This month's Mystery Box we choose from
This week, I'm cooking from Nigel Slater who contributed to Food and Wine magazine. I'm going to cook chicken, parsley and pasta.
1 stick unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 3 1/2 pound chicken, drumsticks and thighs separated (I used 1 packet of chicken joint wings)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup dry white wine
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I chopped them)
1 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- In a large skillet or casserole, melt butter in the olive oil over moderate heat.
- Rub the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet, skin side down and cook until golden and crispy for about 4 minutes. Turn the chicken and reduce the heat to moderate, then cover and cook, turning the chicken once or twice, until the juices run clear, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean platter and remove all but 1 tbsp fat from the skillet.
- Increase the heat to high, add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until reduced by half, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and parsley together with some green pepper to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the remaining tbsp of butter into the skillet and gradually whisk them into the sauce. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.At this point, I added some cooked pasta to combine with the chicken and green pepper.
It's a pity Mr G couldn't be here to taste this. I really liked this one-dish meal alot. It is perfect just for me. What about you?