It's only Tuesday so I thought of cooking a hearty meal to beat the midweek blues away. And the meal has to be a one-dish meal, quick, easy and yet yummy. So I thought of cooking fried rice!! I think many of us know or rather can cook or whip up a plate of fried rice and have many variations.
This is mine. For me, it must always be spicy, if not, it ain't nice ;) Of course you can beg to differ. To each his own, really.
1-2 onions, sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp oil
1/2 can luncheon meat, cut into cubes
1 big carrot, sliced and cut into cubes
half a head of cabbage, sliced
1 tbsp oyster sauce
a dash of light soya sauce
a dash of white pepper
2 eggs, beaten with a dash of white pepper and light soya sauce
1 can of button mushrooms, sliced
1 cup white or unpolished rice, kept overnight in the refrigerator
2 tbsp thai red curry paste or tom yum paste
1-2 stalks of spring onion or coriander, chopped
- Heat about 1 tbsp oil in the frying pan. Once the oil is heated, stir fry the onion and 1 tbsp garlic until fragrant.
- Add the button mushrooms and stir fry for about half a minute.
- Add the carrots and stir fry until the carrots slightly softened.
- Add the cabbage and oyster sauce with a dash of light soya sauce. Stir fry the whole mixture until the carrots softened. Scoop the vegetables into a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and heat the oil. Once the oil is heated, add the remaining minced garlic and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the cold rice and stir fry to mix with the garlic.
- Once the rice is mixed, dig a hole in the middle of the rice and pour the beaten eggs in it. Wait for a few seconds before stirring the rice with the beaten eggs.
- Mix the rice with the beaten eggs and mix well till the rice grains have been covered with eggs.
- Pour in the vegetables and stir well to combine.
- Add the thai red curry paste and mix well.
- Once you have tasted that the fried rice is salty enough, scoop up and serve while hot. Don't forget to add your spring onion or coriander as garnishing.
This is how my hearty lunch looks like :)
This bowl of wholesome carbohydrates, vegetables, proteins is enough to last me for a complete meal. Of course, I had simple double-boiled soup to go along with it. Yummy if you ask me!