Nuffnang

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Chocolate Banana Muffins

And it's about the bananas, bananas and more bananas. Haha if you ask me why I'm in the banana craze, I don't think I know how to answer you. All I know is, I just love the texture of bananas in bakes. They seem to give a nice moist texture. Yes, even the lady at the market whom I bought the bananas from asked me too. "Oh you always bake? And with bananas?" I should have told her I think Mr G started the whole banana craze thingy so bleah. Hahaha!!

Anyhow, I've bookmarked this recipe from Nigella Lawson from eons ago. I only thought of this when I was thinking what is the best combination with banana. I think chocolate would be it. I believe the last time we had CLAS, many of us have also baked this muffin which is pretty well received.

This recipe is from Nigella's Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home. See my modifications in blue.

Ingredients:
  • very ripe or overripe bananas
  • 125 ml vegetable oil
  • large eggs
  • 100 grams soft light brown sugar
  • 225 grams plain flour
  • tablespoons best-quality cocoa powder (sifted)
  • teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 180°C and line a 12-bun muffin tin with papers. Don’t worry about getting special papers: regular muffin cases will do the job.
  2. Mash the bananas by hand or with a freestanding mixer. Still beating and mashing, add the oil followed by the eggs and sugar.
  3. Mix the flour, cocoa powder and bicarb together and add this mixture, beating gently, to the banana mixture, then spoon it into the prepared papers.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 15–20 minutes, by which time the muffins should be dark, rounded and peeking proudly out of their cases. Allow to cool slightly in their tin before removing to a wire rack.

Don't these look ugly? Yeah, ugly is the new beautiful ;) These muffins may look ugly but they are moist inside and not too dry. However, I would think that a teeny weeny addition of yoghurt or sour cream would do them some good. Ok, I'm too inclined towards that variation of cakes already. Nevertheless, good dark valrhona cocoa powder would definitely bring these muffins up to another level. Try them!!

I'm submitting this to Cook like a Star ALL Stars Anniversary organized by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsJoyce of bakingflavours and Mich of Piece of Cake.


I'm also submitting this to Cook-Your-Books#10 organized by Joyce of bakingflavours.



No comments: