Nuffnang

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

It is yet another alcoholic cake that I'm going to make. And this time, it's chocolate with guinness stout. Are you cringing your face already? I know. When I first made such a cake sometime back, I too was hesistant. Then when I tasted the final product, voila! Both flavours marry well together with each other.

So it is yet another birthday. Incidentally, it's for another chocolate lover as well :) Aww, I love it when my 'thinking' job is made easy. So I decided to make these beauties.

The recipe for the cupcakes and frosting is from Nigella Lawson's Feast. Do note that this recipe will make about 18 cupcakes.

Cupcake Ingredients:

250ml guinness stout (minus the foam)
250g unsalted butter
75g cocoa powder
400g 250g caster sugar
142ml sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
275g plain flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and butter/line a 9 inch springform tin.
  2. Pour guinness stout into a large wide saucepan and add the butter. Heat until the butter is all melted. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
  3. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla extract and then pour the brown buttery beery and finally whisk in the flour and baking soda.
  4. Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack as this is a damp cake. cupcake cases for about 20 minutes or so. Leave to cool.
Frosting ingredients:

300g cream cheese
150g icing sugar
125ml double cream

Method:
  1. Lightly whip the cream cheese till smooth, sieve over icing sugar and beat them both together.
  2. Add the cream and beat again until spreadable consistency.
  3. Ice the top of the cupcakes to resemble the frothy top of the famous pint.
See how they look. 



Being the first cake tester as always, Mr G says it's very very nice but he wants more cream cheese frosting on top. I know right!! But this frosting gets pretty soft fast so you might want to work fast with this one.

I was pretty sad with my last picture. After cutting it into two, I wanted to sink my teeth into it so hence, the pathetic picture quality. Oh well, it was all worth it. The cupcake texture looks pretty dense but it was just the perfect marriage of guinness that brings out the better in the cocoa. I love it!! If I had to choose to make a cupcake, I'll definitely choose these. If you are a chocolate fan, try this. There is no doubt about it.


I'm also submitting this to Cook-Your-Books #7 hosted by Joyce of kitchenflavours.


I'm also submitting this to We Should Cocoa hosted by Chocolette of Chocolate Log Blog.


I'm also submitting this to Calendar Cakes hosted by Dolly Bakes and Laura Loves Cakes.


I'm also submitting this to Treat Petite December 2013 organized by Cakeyboi and The Baking Explorer, hosted by Cakeyboi.


I'm also submitting this to Tea Time Treats (December 2013) organized by Karen of Lavender and Lovage and Kate of What Kate Baked, hosted by Kate.

No comments: