Nuffnang

Friday, September 20, 2013

Peach-Almond Coffee Cake

I have many overdue bakes that I need to bake but I haven't been able to get down to baking them yet. I'll get to them as soon as I can.

Yes this bake is definitely one of them. As much as I had missed a few of the past bakes due to various reasons but I'm trying my best to fulfil and bake as on time as I can.

In case you are unaware, we The Home Bakers have been baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas for a while now. If you are curious and interested in this book, you may find it in the link above or even in the local libraries. The recipes in this book are fairly easy and ingredients are easily obtainable. Most importantly, their cakes or breads are perfect with coffee or tea ;)

Without further rambling, let's get on to our 24th bake. This peach-cashew coffee cake is chosen by Chaya of Bizzy Bakes. But since I used almonds instead of cashews, hence, the title of my post.

See the ingredients listed below in metric measurements. My modifications are indicated in blue. For the full recipe, please go to here.

Ingredients:
  • 113.4g unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 225g 180g granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 125g all-purpose cake flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 3/8-inch-thick slices (I used about almost 3/4 can of canned peaches)
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
  • 75g roasted cashews or slivered almonds
  • 2 tablespoons Demerara or turbinado sugar

I didn't take any step by step pictures as it all happened too quickly. Cream, whisk, mix and fold then decorate. It was pretty easy. Psst, did I also mention that I did snitch a little on the batter? The batter tasted light and fluffy with a tinge of butter that didn't reek of oil like SCS? Yes, call me biased but although I grew up with SCS butter and I did love it with bread, I soon grew out of it with cake. I think as I baked more, I like it more when my buttered bakes smell only lightly perfumed with butter.

And did you guessed it too? This cake is a butter cake which is not overly BUTTER but yet, it brings out the nutty flavour of the toasted almonds and the sweet peach slices bring this butter cake to a whole new level with the moistness of it.


This time round, I didn't use a cake tin or any round tin. Instead I decided to make it like a tray bake and cut it into square pieces.

Simply put, I love this peach-almond coffee cake to bits!! Yes I'm a butter gal and I love my butter just this way :) Thanks Chaya for choosing this lovely cake! Mr G says Hmmmmm this is definitely the kind of cake I love. I guess he is just a simple guy who need not have fancy cakes but simple cakes like this that capture his heart. Awwwww......

Do drop by to view my fellow THBers' bakes as well.


I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books #4 organized by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.


Last but not least, I'm also submitting this post to Tea Time Treats hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Kate from What Kate Baked for September 2013.

No comments: