Nuffnang

Friday, August 9, 2013

Gruyere Brioche Bread

The last time I  baked bread was eons ago. Ok it was exaggerated but definitely months ago. It could be last year. Yes, that time I kneaded and kneaded by hand. This time I'm going to try once again. Maybe by hand or maybe by bread machine if I'm feeling lazy. If you have been following me, you would realise my blog posts are mainly of cooks or bakes but not much with bread. This is going to be a challenge for me - a challenge that I need to step out of my comfort zone and do something that is not so common for me. I can do it, I'm willing to do it and I want to do it ;)

For our #22 bake with THB, we are baking gruyere brioche bread. I'm not really a cheesy person (no pun intended) so you tell me how gruyere tastes like, I'm not too sure but I'm willing to try the taste. Anyhow, our recipe from Lou Seibert Pappas is from her book 'Coffee Cakes'. So far, this book has plenty of recipes tried, tested and tasted which turn out to be really good from our past bakes.

In case you are wondering what is a brioche, it is a type of pastry that is very much like its French counterpart's highly enriched bread. It is actually bread that has a richer content like pastry due to extra addition of eggs, butter, liquid, milk and water. Hmm, I'm thinking that this brioche should turn out pretty flavourful and soft from the milk content. Let's see.

This month's selection was chosen by Alice from I Love. I Cook. I Bake. This recipe yields a large loaf that can feed 8 to 10 people so I'm only using half the recipe for 4 people. Some for us and perhaps some to give away ;)

Guess what? I tried this recipe once by using bread machine. Ok, I'm not too chummy with my bread machine and this method kinda flopped. I was bummed for a day. Then I decided that it can't be all that hard. So I tried for the 2nd time but this time, I tried it the Lou's way :) I like the sound of that - Lou's way. Yes, with the aid of my Kitchenaid (thank goodness!), I did hand kneading and yes, I think it is therapeutic to knead your dough. Honestly, this recipe doesn't need much kneading unlike others.

I like the light salty fragrance of gruyere cheese in the air when I bake. In the end, I didn't managed to braid the bread but instead I made it like a bread ring or bread wreath (whatever you call it).


I like the light saltiness of this bread caused by the cheese. It's very flavourful and yes, it is a keeper for sure. I will definitely try to bake this bread again. 

Check out the inside of my gruyere brioche.



If you are keen to bake with us, The Home Bakers, do contact Joyce.

I'm also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up organized by Bake for Happy Kidsmy little favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out since this month's event is Eggs.

           

I'm also going to submit this post to Cook-Your-Books #3 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.



No comments: