Nuffnang

Friday, July 5, 2013

Banana Bread

Honestly, if you see the title of this bake, you might have thought it to be dry. I mean, its name just give you that impression isn't it? 

I have baked a similar banana bread recipe by Flour before and it tastes brilliantly moist. So when I saw this recipe by Curtis Stone, I thought why not? Besides, the last I baked, Mr G almost ate it all (rolls eyes).

Anyhow, this time I want to bake more banana bread! :):) For banana fans, you will regret it if you missed this one out.

I shall try a slight variation this time. See the metric measurements for this recipe and my modifications are in blue.

Ingredients: 
  • 208g all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs (100g)
  • 281g 200g sugar
  • 111g vegetable oil
  • 3 large coarsely mashed very ripe bananas
  • 2 tablespoons yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 175g walnuts, toasted and chopped
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. Butter muffin pans or 1 loaf tin, then dust with flour, knocking out excess.
  3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a bowl.
  4. Beat together  eggs and sugar in bowl of electric mixer at medium-high speed until very thick and pale and mixture forms a ribbon when beater is lifted, about 10 minutes.  Reduce speed to low and add oil in a slow stream, mixing, then mix in bananas, yogurt, and vanilla.  Remove bowl from mixer and fold in flour mixture and walnuts gently but thoroughly. According to Rose Beranbaum, doing it the other way is better as the dry mixture absorbs the wet mixture much better. You may do it Curtis' way if you like but I prefer Rose's method for this step.
  5. Pour the batter into the loaf pan, spreading evenly, and bake in middle of oven until golden brown and a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours for loaf (I baked mine for 1 hour, tented the top with aluminium foil and then baked for another 15 minutes), 25-30 minutes for muffins.  Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack.  Turn loaf or muffins right side up and cool completely.
Take a look at some of the pictures I took whilst baking or prepping this banana bread.


Yes, that's right. Sift the dry ingredients well. I usually sift once only unless required by the recipe but I guess, if it means a lot to sift twice, why not? It's your call after all :)


Ok the mashy, gooey stuff is usually the good stuff. Didn't your mummy tell you that? ;) Yes it's all the awesomeness of the bananas :) Seriously, whatever you eat outside with bananas that smell really banana-ey often contain banana essence. Trust me, this is just pure banana goodness.



Given the angle of the picture, I think you can kind of see the wholesome banana bread but then again, I do have a much better picture. Excuse the terrible picture taking at this time of the day.


As Mr G is busy working hard for our future, I'm busy baking away to make his rumbling tummy happy when he is back from a hard day's work :) Also, I gave half the loaf to my dear friend, LT and she delightfully told me that it was so good, best eaten warm of course ;) I'm always happy to make someone happy, afterall, they did say that the way to the heart is through the tummy isn't it? There you got the verdict for this wholesome banana bread. Definitely a must-bake again.

Wanna cook or bake like Curtis Stone? To join, simply cook or bake any recipe from Curtis Stone's website, his recipe collection at Coles website or at Masterchef Australia or his cookbooks and blog hop with us for the whole month of July 2013. For more details, please see this.

To blog hop with us, simply copy and paste this linky HTML code into your blog post where you want the blog hop list to appear. Make sure you are in HTML view/mode when you paste in the code. get the InLinkz code.





No comments: