Nuffnang

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Chocolate Chunk Cookies



When I first saw Joyce's Cook-Your Books, I was excited! This means that I can have the opportunity to start using the books on my shelves. Can you tell I'm grinning sheepishly because I have sooooooooooooooo many cookbooks on my shelves but I haven't even cooked or baked one recipe from many of them because I simply adore keeping these books and also, too many recipes to cook or bake already!!

Now is the time to set procrastination aside and start moving that ass!! 

This recipe is from one of my latest collection Flour which is from Joanne Chang.



Let me tell you if you are prepared to override this recipe that you will definitely regret it big time! This chocolate chunk cookie had been her brainchild as she had modified it from Tollhouse's famous chocolate chip cookie and included a few variations to make it even better. 

For this recipe, I will include her recipe below and my modifications in blue.

Ingredients:
  • 228g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 150g granulated sugar (I used 95g caster sugar)
  • 165g light brown sugar (I used 104g brown sugar)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 140g all-purpose flour
  • 150g bread flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 255g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 70g milk chocolate, chopped
Method:
  1. Using a paddle attachment, cream butter, caster sugar and brown sugar together on medium speed for about 5 minutes or until the mixture turns light fluffy and paler in colour.
  2. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes.
  3. In another bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, bread flour, baking soda and salt until well mixed. Add the dark and milk chocolates and toss to combine.
  4. On low speed or with a wooden spoon, slowly add the flour-chocolate mixture to the butter-sugar mixture and then mix until the flour mixture is totally incorporated and the dough is evenly mixed like the picture below.


At this point in time, you have 3 options - (1) refrigerate it for 3-4 hours before baking it, (2) bake it immediately or (3) refrigerate the dough overnight before baking it.

Bake the cookie dough in 1/4 cup balls and about 2 inchs space wide. Flatten each ball slightly with your palm. You can bake it at 170 degrees celsius for about 15 to 18 minutes until the cookies are golden brown at the edges and slightly soft in the centre. Let cool and then transfer to your cookie jar.







I refrigerated the cookie dough for about 3 days (yes, that long as I didn't have time to bake it after a day) and baked it with my smallest OXO cookie scoop. 



According to Mr G is, don't eat it whilst it's hot or warm and don't eat it till it's one-day old. I think he is getting the baking science thing already ;) Anyhow, it's his umpteenth time opening the jar to reach for the cookies as I'm typing this post. If you still don't get how addictive these cookies are, read my review instead. For me, I'm a baker and not really a eater of my cookies mainly because I get my gratification from seeing friends, family eat my cookies but this one is a big ADDICTION to me. It tastes almost like or exactly like Famous Amos cookies just that it has the added chocolate(s) in it. Definitely a keeper for this one!



I am going to submit this to Cook-Your-Books for the month of June.


No comments: