Nuffnang

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cranberry Pecan Orange Coffee Cake



It's funny how things and/or people can change so fast. For so long, I took for granted so many things - sun, sunlight, air, freedom to go wherever I want to. To be honest, I never even knew I took all these simple things for granted, simple things that can seem to be a form of necessity within days or even hours.

I shan't go into the drones of what has been said, done or not done since all these has been going through the social media of the people here. Anyway, the company was being considerate by letting us go back earlier than our usual knock off time. Jokes aside, I was pretty relieved as I could feel the lungs breathing harder than usual. I truly appreciate this gesture.

Anyhow, having gone back so early, I decided to bake something sweet to lighten up the spirits. Yes, baking does that to me. I mean, do whatever it takes to make you happy because life is short and you never know what will happen next, isn't it?

For our 20th bake, we are baking Cranberry Pecan Orange Coffee Cake from Lou Seibert Pappas' "Coffee Cakes". For the recipe, do visit Maria of Box of Stolen Socks who chose this recipe.

Below are the ingredients in metric measurements and do note that they are definitely one whole portion of the recipe. See my comments in blue.

the cake:

56.7g unsalted butter, room temperature
112.5g sugar (I used caster sugar)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla (I used vanilla extract)
125g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup thawed, undiluted orange juice concentrate (from the freezer section) (I used Sunkist orange concentrate)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (I used dried cranberries)
36.3g finely chopped pecans
 
the streusel*:

62.5g plain flour

28.35g cold, unsalted butter

112.5g caster sugar (I used only 80g caster sugar)

109g chopped pecans

My modifications for the recipe are as follows:

  1. Use muffin pans and this recipe can make about 10 muffins depending on the size of your muffin pan.
  2. Bake for 5 minutes and quickly pour the streusel topping over the muffins. Continue baking for another 15 mins or until the cake tester pick turns out dry.


This is how my version turned out. To check out my fellow THBers' versions, click here.



Honestly, pardon me for the poorly lit picture of my half-cut muffin. The lighting was bad and hey, even if it was in the day, there is hardly much sunlight these days :( I miss the sun.

To know the verdict from Mr G, read the conversation below:

(I walked over and gave Mr G a muffin)

Me: So how's the muffin?
Mr G: (barely mumbled and continued eating)
Me: Is it very sweet? I mean, the streusel.
Mr G: hmm hmph (continued eating)
Me: Erm, is the muffin soft and fluffy? I can feel it is.

(When I turned around, Mr G just looked at me and smiled. With the plate that is totally wiped clean of all muffin traces and any crumbs)

Me: Remember the Masterchef Australia we saw yesterday where George, Gary and Matt were trying out that chocolate tart dessert?
Mr G: yeah...
Me: You know, I observed their expressions....so when they only take one bite and never stop putting the spoon or fork down, that means it is a definite approval of it. But if they take one bite and walk away, it usually means the food is crappy right? So using their standards, I take it it's good?
Mr G: hell yeah....needless to say right?
Me: MUAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA ok I'm so daft but I got it (at last) (rolling my eyes)

So guys, you know what is the verdict right?

(Disclaimer: I'm definitely not comparing my food standards with Masterchef. Mine are nowhere near any of those and I'm fully aware of my shortcomings ;))


I'm also submitting it to Cook-Your-Books #1 for June.

No comments: