Nuffnang

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Flour's Banana Nut Bread

Banana Nut Bread vs Banana Cake - which will you choose? If you love soft and fluffy bakes like me, I figure you would probably go for banana cake. This time, I decided to try Banana Nut Bread instead after hearing much about the signature bake from Boston's famous Flour Bakery. This Banana Nut Bread recipe was found from Food Network where it was the signature bake from Flour Bakery in Boston. With such a background, I figured it might just not go wrong? Who knows until I have tried? Afterall, everyone's tastes and preferences can differ alot.

Furthermore, I had a request for a banana nut bread and the very thought of me makes my brain go 'moist', 'banana-ey' and 'wholesome'. Definitely something worth thinking about, putting into your mouth and obviously something that will bring you a tad closer to home. Although my mum doesn't know how to bake, whenever I smell something wholesome, I will always think of her :)

You may check out the recipe as the above link or look below together with my adaptations in blue.


Ingredients:

208g all purpose plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon (slightly less than 1/2 tsp - whoever can find 1/3 tsp anyway?)
1/2 1/4 tsp salt
225g 200g caster sugar
2 eggs
109g canola oil
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe and mashed (If you use the big Del Monte bananas from the supermarket, reduce it to 3. If not, you may use about 4 small to medium bananas)
2 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream or yoghurt (I used yoghurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
78g walnuts, chopped and toasted

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F 170 degree celsius. Line the bottom of the loaf pan with parchment paper. I used bakespray and lined the loaf pan with parchment paper thereafter.
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. 
  3. Beat sugar and eggs with a whisk until light and fluffy for about 10 minutes or so. 
  4. Drizzle in the oil. 
  5. Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche yoghurt and vanilla extract. 
  6. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts.
  7. Pour in the lined loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. I used about 1 hour to bake and also around 15 minutes or so, I tented the top of the loaf pan with parchment paper to avoid overbrowning. See how brown the top of my loaf looked above.


Mr G tried one slice, then two and then three!! @@ Then he said, this banana bread smells so good and very soft as well as moist! I'm not going to share this banana bread with anyone! This whole loaf is going to be all for me!! I guess you would have figured out how good this banana bread is. So the verdict is, banana bread can taste as good or even better than banana cake :)

Note: in future when I bake this again, I will definitely toast the walnuts to give the nutty flavour a crunch.

No comments: