Nuffnang

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Orange-Frosted Sponge Cake

After a long and tiring week of work, work and nothing but work, it's back to doing something I love!! Yes, once again :)

It's the time of the month again. NOooooooooo not THAT time of the month :X I mean, it's the time of the month for our THB bakeout hehehe. And it's our 15th one so far. Kudos, my fellow THB-ers!

Anyhow, as usual we are not allowed to share the recipe except the host of the bake (which is not me). My notes on some variation I have made on the recipe is as per below. Also, I used a different type of frosting - orange cream cheese frosting for a slightly cheesy but yet refreshing taste for this light sponge cake.

Check out my undecorated cake. I used a chiffon cake tin that is 22cm.




My notes:


  1. I used a total of 200g sugar instead of the actual 337g sugar. I find it too sweet for my liking.
  2. I only used 50g sugar to combine with the flour, salt and baking powder.
  3. I used 150g sugar to beat together with the egg whites and cream of tartar.
  4. Instead of using orange juice, I used yuzu juice which also has a citrusy taste to it. Yuzu's flavour taste pretty tart which resembles that of a grapefruit but yet, it has somewhat the flavour of the mandarin orange.
If you would notice, in notes 2 and 3 above, I would have used the method for chiffon cake by using sugar to stabilise the cake batter. This method seems to work pretty well for this cake considering the fact that no oil nor butter is used at all. It should probably make a healthier cake for the health-conscious, not to mention that it is so light and fluffy.

At first I was contemplating on whether to put any frosting for the cake at all, but since I had some cream cheese frosting left over from earlier in the week, I decided to use it since it's orange cream cheese. I thought it would add on to the light citrusy flavour brought about by the yuzu juice.




Last but not least, check out the firm but yet light spongey look this cake gives. Ok nevermind the uneven frosting in the middle. Erm, by the way, Mr G already had his 3rd slice of the cake the moment I sliced the cake. That already tells a lot about his approval for the cake, isn't it? On a separate note, I loved it so much too. At first, I thought of bringing some for the colleagues at work to try but I think I'm going to keep this cake all to ourselves. Yes, ALL OF IT :):)







7 comments:

Zoe said...

Hi Grace,

Like you, I enjoy baking and eating this cake too. This recipe is great.

Zoe

Emily said...

I frosted the cake the second time I baked it. Well liked by those who ate!

Emily said...

ps: love the height of your cake!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Grace,
Looks like everyone love this cake! Your cake looks great with the cream cheese frosting!
Did you manage to finish the whole cake? Hahaha!

Unknown said...

Zoe - absolutely agree with you :)

Emily - yeah frosting the cake seems to be such a great idea! I too love the height of the cake ;P

Joyce - yeah it's great that this time it seems that everyone at THB just love the cake. Erm I made it yesterday and the cake's already half gone - imagine a full 10 inch cake!! and it's only 2 of us @@ give us just 2 more days. It'll be ALL gone haha

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Hi Grace, Yuor cake looks great soft & fluffy ! YUM! What a great idea of yuzu & frosting it with cream cheese. I will definitely do that the next time I bake this yummy cake.

lena said...

maybe i did something not quite right on the cake, i find mine a little dry :( i had used buttercream , cream cheese is even tastier !